Sunday, September 2, 2007

Update on Heathrow

This is a follow up on a previous post

This time at the first security check point at Heathrow Departures Check-In, I catched the following conversation. A woman with a relatively big, but not enormously big trolley bag tried to pass. Security person, on relaxed low tone voice:
'Excuse me, this bag might be too big for handluggage.'
'I need to keep it.'
'Ma'am, could you please come with me... measure the bag here yourself, see if it fits to the size allowance.'
'I really need to keep it.'
'Ma'am, I only try to help you.' (still relaxed and relatively kind)
'I cannot check it in, there are important items in.. blabla...'

I could see from the corner of my eyes that it is too late. An other security person hurried from the other end of the room, shouting from 30 meters distance:
'YOU CANNOT KEEP THAT BAG, CHECK IT IN, CANNOT YOU READ THE RULES'
'But I need the..the.. items....'
'YOU ARE KEEPING THE LINE UP, MOVE OUT'- and he dragged her out.

Wow, poor first security guy must have been fired that night. He was too humanitarian for this job.

I recently talked about airports with a very well-travelled Hong Kong man. We agreed that Heathrow is the worst airport. His favourite is Vancouver. I have never been there, I should check it out!

2 comments:

Sara said...

You should definitely check out vancouver! It's only a 6 hour drive from me :)

agnes koltay said...

I had the feeling you would love this plan.... :)